We’ve taken a look in recent weeks at some national auto accident statistics involving vehicles, trucks and even pedestrians. We now wanted to turn to a local issue that has arisen over the last decade, as more roundabouts have been constructed in metro Detroit.
Studies have shown that roundabouts are safer than traditional stop sign or signal-controlled intersections. Roundabouts reduced injury crashes by 75 percent at intersections where stop signs or signals were previously used for traffic control, according to a study by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). In fact, studies by the IIHS and Federal Highway Administration have shown that roundabouts typically achieve:
- A 37 percent reduction in overall collisions
- A 75 percent reduction in injury collisions
- A 90 percent reduction in fatality collisions
- A 40 percent reduction in pedestrian collision
While the macro view suggests they are safer, roundabouts can be confusing for drivers who don’t expect them, or have not experienced them before. They have been increasing in numbers in recent years. For example the Oakland County Road Commission constructed its first roundabout in 1999. It has constructed 28 more since then, according to a January 2020 article by Bridge Michigan.
Below are statistics provided by the Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit on those roundabouts throughout the entire state considered to be among the most dangerous. (all data is from 2019)
- 18 an ½ MILE RD @ VAN DYKE AVE, Sterling Heights, 229 Total Crashes, 14 Injuries
- ORCHARD LAKE RD @ 14 MILE RD, Farmington Hills/West Bloomfield, 178 Total Crashes, 22 Injuries
- M 5/MARTIN PKWY @ PONTIAC TRAIL, Commerce Twp, 161 Total Crashes, 12 Injuries
- STATE ST @ ELLSWORTH RD, Pittsfield Twp/Ann Arbor, 154 Total Crashes, 8 Injuries
- I 94 @ SPRINKLE RD (SOUTH OF I 94), Kalamazoo, 71 Total Crashes, 2 Injuries
- FARMINGTON RD @ 14 MILE RD, Farmington Hills, 66 Total Crashes, 13 Injuries
- LEE RD @ WHITMORE LAKE RD (WEST OF US 23), Green Oak Twp, 63 Total Crashes, 1 Injuries
- FARMINGTON RD @ MAPLE RD, West Bloomfield Twp, 55 Total Crashes, 5 Injuries
- LIVERNOIS RD @ HAMLIN RD, Rochester Hills, 55 Total Crashes, 4 Injuries
- OAKLEY PARK RD @ MARTIN PKWY, Commerce Twp, 47 Total Crashes, 6 Injuries
Source: Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit (Note: Any constructed in 2019 are not included on this list)
If you have been injured in a car accident on or near a roundabout, you’re not alone. There’s a good chance that human error was the cause. The team at Bashore Green can help get you the financial support you deserve.